Tuesday, February 1, 2011

snow day!

Yes, we got hit by the 'blizzard' today.  I woke up at 5:30 to go workout to find a sleet storm going on.  On the news, I find that school is closed today and I have a blessed snow day!  It's back to bed I go.

When I wake up a couple hours later, the precipitation is pretty much over, save a few flurries all day long. Everything is covered in a half inch layer of ice, and the temp is dropping.  At 8am, the temp was about 19 degrees.  It dropped to about 16 degrees today and is currently at 15.  The low is predicted to be 10 degrees,  the lowest it's been in 15 years here.

This is my front yard and the street I live on... taken at 5pm today.  Usually we'd have had the ice melt by now, but NOOOOO...... It's too dang cold!

My driveway... Ice!  It took Mike 15 minutes to get the truck out of the driveway to go check the streets. Northwest Highway is moving at about 10 miles an hour. 

the back yard... covered in icy frozen sleet.

I'm hoping my lettuce makes it... 

So, I know, people in other areas of the country are thinking 'really??? snow day for THAT???' Well, you see, we're not prepared for this kind of weather down here.  And when it snows, it usually starts with ice.  And we can't drive on the snow, much less on the ice.  And to add salt to the wound, we've got all the media people, northeastern sports teams (Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers), and their fans in town for the Superbowl this weekend in the 'Death Star'.  So, all the sand trucks are sanding the areas that the visitors are going to be, well, visiting.  We in Dallas, you know, We have this 'image' to keep up.  I'm just sayin'.  

Last February, we had some REAL snow though.  A full whopping 15 inches, which is the most snow I've ever seen in Dallas.  While the winters don't add up to Alfred winters AT ALL, I'm secretly glad cause I really don't like cold weather. 

I really should have brought these in yesterday.  Oh well... I guess it's time to remove the poinsettias. 


My pool will be warm in May.  NOT TODAY! 

We've got another snow day tomorrow as the streets surly are not melting any time soon.  

Stay warm y'all. 
-P

No comments:

Post a Comment